Saturday 22 June 2013

Running and cycling in the rain #Juneathon Day 22

It was always going to be a busy day today, however it would start as usual with a trip to Walsall Arboretum and Park Run.

Somehow I managed to reset my wristwatch to factory settings minutes before the race, so for me the race started just after midnight! It was threatening to rain as we set off, and I quickly got into a comfortable stride. Usually, the audio cues in my ear are quite helpful, but my brain wasn't engaged so I never really worked out whether I was ahead or behind my target pace (given I ran 25m 40 last week, I set my target at 25m 30).

Halfway round the third lap, it started to rain, not too heavily, but enough for me to notice, however I also realised that a PB was still possible. After being a bit miffed that I hadn't achieved a personal best in a while before last week, all of a sudden, just like buses, it appeared that a second one was following right behind. Stopping my watch as I crossed the line, it looked good and the text message later in day confirmed that was fifteen seconds faster than I'd run 5km before so today's Park run was bought to you by the number 17 and the letters P and B!

Park Run #17: 3.11miles (5km) in 25m 25 (56th finisher)

On my way to a second PB in two weeks - photo by Rocket Ron, linked from Flickr.
This evening, we went to buy my birthday present. Admittedly, it is two weeks early, however as we'd just been paid, it seemed like the best idea. I'd worked out my route home in advance, as if you're going to get a new bike, you might as well go somewhere you've never been before!

I had chosen to wear my running tights instead of my padded cycling shorts and I had dismissed Sarah's suggestion of getting a padded seat, however some of the canal towpaths that seem flat when you run on them can be anything but when you're on a bike. Still, everything was going well until about the 4-mile mark when my seat developed a mind of its own, reclining to an uncomfortable angle which made riding difficult and to cap it all, it started to rain again! Even so, I made it home without having to make too many stops and promptly tightened the seat to make future rides easier! The first ride of many.

Cycling: 6.25miles in 38m 09 

The way home


Juneathon totals:

Running:
Distance - 25.11 miles
Time - 3h 35m51


Swimming:
Distance - 5.27 miles
Time - 3h 05m 55

Cycling:
Distance - 87.16 miles
Time - 4h 44m 28

Walking:
Distance - 17.98 miles
Time - 4h 37m 18

Cross Trainer:
Distance - 8.77 miles
Time - 1h 16mm 47

Rowing Machine:
Distance - 1.24 miles
Time - 09m 07


Total Distance - 145.53 miles
Total Time - 17h 29m 26  

No comments:

Post a Comment